Waving palm branches
Today, on our first day of 2 Weeks 2 the Cross, we entered Jerusalem with Jesus, shouting Hosanna to the King of Kings! The kids created a path around the living room with blankets, like the crowds throwing down their robes as Jesus came down into the city. Worship is personal, and Jesus loves our praises! We colored palm prints to create our own palm branches. Then we held a parade of sorts, with loud hosannas and waving palm branches to imagine what it might have been like the day Jesus triumphantly rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. Jackson even decided to be the donkey, and Lauren (as Jesus) rode on his back on the path they had made.
Read about Jesus’ triumphal entry in Mark 11:1-11.
Palm branches made out of palms
Learn more about 2 Weeks 2 the Cross and explore ways to experience Easter in a meaningful way with your family.
Our 2 Weeks 2 the Cross road map
My family’s annual Easter experience has begun! For the next 14 days, we are focusing together on the events of Passion Week, including the cross and empty tomb.
Resurrection Sunday is truly the most important day we celebrate annually. Yet, we found ourselves for several years after our children were born not giving Easter the significance it deserves. Easter had become about a day of dressing up, attending a special service at church, hunting for Easter eggs and having a big dinner.
Just as we work to make Christmas count, my husband and I wanted to impress the incredible sacrifice of Jesus on our children’s hearts. We didn’t want Easter to be an after thought. This is now the third year we’ve taken our 2 Weeks 2 the Cross journey.
Join us as we prepare to celebrate the greatest day in history! For the next two weeks, I will post our daily 2 Weeks 2 the Cross scripture activities, and you are welcome to use these ideas with your family.
Here’s the lineup:
- Sunday, March 22, Hosanna to the King of Kings – Mark 11:1-11
- Monday, March 23, House of prayer, not den of thieves – Mark 11:15-19
- Tuesday, March 24, Love God, love people – Matthew 22:34-40
- Wednesday, March 25, Be the servant of all – John 13:1-20
- Thursday, March 26, One of you will betray me – Mark 14:18-21
- Friday, March 27, Do this to remember me – Matthew 26:26-30
- Saturday, March 28 (Taking a break as I will be at a women’s conference)
- Sunday, March 29, Not my will but yours – Matthew 26:36-46
- Monday, March 30, I AM He – John 18:3-11
- Tuesday, March 31, Remember the word of the Lord – Luke 22:54-62
- Wednesday, April 1, This is Jesus, King of the Jews – Matthew 27:27-37
- Thursday, April 2, Today you will be with me in paradise – Luke 23:39-43
- Friday, April 3, Surely He is the Son of God – Matthew 27:45-54, 57-61
- Saturday, April 4, For God so loved the world – John 3:16
- Sunday, April 5, He is not here, He has risen! – Matthew 28:1-10
Click here for ideas to teach your children the meaning of Easter and spend time together as a family focusing on Jesus’ death and resurrection.