Our Advent Scripture passage for Day 10 is John 1:9-18.
The true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was created through Him, yet the world did not recognize Him. He came to His own, and His own people did not receive Him. But to all who did receive Him, He gave them the right to be children of God, to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood, or of the will of the flesh, or of the will of man, but of God.
The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
(John testified concerning Him and exclaimed, “This was the One of whom I said, ‘The One coming after me has surpassed me, because He existed before me.’”) Indeed, we have all received grace after grace from His fullness, for the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. The One and Only Son-the One who is at the Father’s side-He has revealed Him.
When I told the kids we were making candy canes tonight, I had to clarify we were making an art project, not sugary treats!
After we twisted together our red and white pipe cleaners, Matt talked to Jackson and Lauren about how candy canes can remind us about Jesus. He had taught the children about candy canes at AWANA this past Wednesday, so Jackson was quick to add to the conversation.
- When a candy cane is turned around, it makes a letter J, reminding us of Jesus, the reason for Christmas.
- Candy canes are shaped like a shepherd’s crook. Jesus is the Great Shepherd, who laid down His life for the sheep (us).
- The red of the candy cane represents the blood Jesus shed on the cross.
- The white tells that Jesus washes away our sins and makes us white as snow.
- When you put two candy canes together, it forms a heart. God loved us so much, He sent Jesus.
After our talk, we took turns hiding and finding the candy canes all over the living room, and finally hung them on the Christmas tree.